STEAM Lab with Mr. Long – Kellogg School

Back to Kellogg Links

Welcome!
FAQ's
Distance Learning Options
Zoom

Welcome to our new STEAM Lab web page!  Please bookmark this page; it will be our jumping off point for everything STEAM Lab.

What has changed?

• This new STEAM Lab webpage
  • Support for Distance Learning Options (see the tab above)
  • 1st grade:  I have joined your Seesaw class
  • 3rd-6th grade: New & revised google classroom assignment(s)
  • K-6th: New ways to get help from and interact with Mr. Long (see Distance Learning Options tab above)
  • Zoom meetings available with Mr. Long (see the Zoom tab)

What has not changed?

• We have most of what we did in class still available, such as coding, typing, and tinkering.
  • You still have your original assignments waiting for you with the same directions, objectives, expectations, and teacher evaluations available.

What is available? For now…

• K-2nd:  teacher supported Typing and Coding
  • Kindergarteners, are you interested in learning touch typing? If so, please let me know by email, or by using the "Ask Mr. Long" button on this page.
  • 3rd-6th:  teacher supported Typing, Coding, and Tinkering

Where do I go?

• K-2nd:  Use the links on this STEAM Lab web page.
  • 3rd-6th:  Begin with this STEAM Lab web page, or go to your STEAM Lab Google Classroom. Check the Stream and the assignment instructions for whichever assignment you wish to work on. Please leave me a comment about your goals and progress for any assignment you choose, and I'll answer back the same day.

How do I get help and check-in with Mr. Long

• K-2nd:  Using the "Ask Mr. Long" button
  • 1st grade:  can also post a comment in your Seesaw class; choose STEAM Lab folder.
  • 3rd-6th:  If assignment related, leave a *private comment on your google classroom assignment(s), otherwise use the "Ask Mr. Long" button.
  • Parents:  Email me at dlong@goleta.k12.ca.us, or use the "Ask Mr. Long" button (tiny.cc/askmrlong)
  • See the Distance Learning Options tab above for more information

*In Google Classroom, a private comment refers to a comment that is just between a teacher and a particular student; it is not visible to other students, but is visible to co-teachers if there are any.

How do I get help and check-in with Mr. Long?

K-2nd:

1. Use the "Ask Mr. Long" button on this web page (tiny.cc/askmrlong)
  2. 1st grade can leave me a Seesaw post; please choose the STEAM Lab folder
  3. Zoom meeting times are posted in the Zoom tab above; ask your teacher for my Meeting ID and Password.

3rd-6th:

1. Google Classroom assignment comments for 3rd-6th (already available)
  2. The "Ask Mr. Long" button on this web page
  3. Zoom meeting times are posted in the Zoom tab above and on Gooogle Classroom and Seesaw; or ask your teacher for my Zoom Meeting ID and Password.

Parent's can email me at dlong@goleta.k12.ca.us

I have shared my Zoom meeting times with all of our classroom teachers, plus they are posted in Google Classroom (3rd-6th grade) and Seesaw (1st grade).

There will be four weeks of STEAM Lab Zoom meetings beginning the week of Monday, May 4th and ending Friday, May 29th, 2020.

Though attending my Zoom meetings are optional, I hope to see you there. It's a great opportunity to get any questions answered and share your work with me.

Grade Day Time Notes
Kindergarten Tuesday 1:00 – 1:30 PM beginning 5/5/20
1st grade Monday 2:00 – 2:30 PM beginning 5/4/20
2nd grade Thursday 10:30 – 11:00 AM beginning 5/7/20
3rd grade Monday 1:00 – 1:30 PM beginning 5/4/20
4th grade Friday 11:00 – 11:30 AM beginning 5/8/20
5th grade Friday 1:30 – 2:00 PM beginning 5/8/20, office hour
6th grade Wednesday 10:30 – 11:00 AM beginning 5/6/20, office hour
Any grade Friday 1:00 – 1:30 PM beginning 5/8/20

Google Classroom Seesaw  Kid-Safe Research Sites
Digital Well-Being Guidelines for Parents During the COVID-19 Pandemic  – The folks at the Center for Human Technology are on the leading edge of understanding  the nature of our digital world and how to navigate it.
COVID19 Mental Health Self Care Worksheet  – Of particular note, is the "Attention Diet" section.

Link to our Coding Courses 3rd & 4th grade3rd & 4th grade 3D CAD Design 5th & 6th grade5th & 6th grade 3D CAD Design
Touch Typing (1st-6th)
Coding Courses (K-6th)
3D Design (3rd-4th)
3D Design (5th-6th)
  • Typing software alone cannot teach children how to touch type; they need human coaching. Read my pointers at the link above.
  • I recommend you try to practice about 3 days a week for 15 minutes each session.
  • Please use the TypingClub account I've already created for you at the link above; this way I can monitor your progress, and provide support. I have customized my TypingClub course to help you focus on what matters.
  • Find an appropriate place to type like a desk or a table, and a chair that sits high enough.
  • Your focus should be to accumulate the proper muscle memory for each "key reach" using the correct finger positioning for the standard Home Row technique, and witout looking. It's okay to go slow, take your time, and work the fundamentals of good finger position, posture, and technique.
  • For now, don't worry about speed, stars, or stats; your speed will naturally improve as your technique improves, but it's helpful if you are practicing regularly.

Above is the link to your coding course(s), which you have been enrolled in by Mr. Long.

If you forgot your secret character for your login, then please contact me using one of the methods described at the bottom, and I will post/send it to you.

Please complete your coding lessons as follows:

1. Do the lessons in order achieving a solid green status for each puzzle;
  2. Do all of the extras;
  3. Spend extra time and effort on any lesson with a "Finish" button;
  4. Leave me a message when you've finished your coding course, and I will review it and message you back.

If you need help…

K-2nd:  Parents can email me at

dlong@goleta.k12.ca.us,

or students can use the "Ask Mr. Long" button on this STEAM Lab page, and 1st graders can leave me messages on Seesaw.

3rd-6th:  Leave me messages in our STEAM Lab google classroom – Coding 101 assignment.

• Open another Kellogg Links tab in your browser and click on Google Classroom.
  • Open your Tinkercad assignment and follow the instructions there.
  • First, you should complete your assigned project. If finished, then ask me about another design you would like to do, but continue to follow our norms that we follow in class, which are explained in the instructions and attachments in your google classroom assignment.
  • Communicate with me once a week about how your project is going. What is your goal for this week? How did it go? Have any questions?

Hello 1st graders!

• Mr. Long is a teacher in your Seesaw class!
  • You can ask me questions there and leave me samples of your work
  • I will post your TypingClub progress and Coding solutions upon request.

Go to Seesaw